Monday, August 21, 2006

Acceptance

I heard from an old friend of mine today. She has found a new love and is very happy. There is one problem, though. Her parents cannot accept that her new love is a woman. Or perhaps what they cannot accept is that their daughter is not the person they want her to be.

Sometimes I wonder how well I will accept my children as they grow up and surprise me. I have a niece who is currently working as an exotic dancer. It's hard for me to accept this. I just don't want her to be a dancer. I do think this line of work is not a wise choice for many sound reasons. But all those reasons aside, I still don't want her to be a dancer. It's not who I want her to be. I'm certain her parents feel the same way. But she didn't ask our opinion. She makes her choices and she is who she is, regardless of what we all want. We love her anyway.

Will it be okay if one of my kids is gay? Or if they become Christians? Or Republicans? Or Democrats? What if they don't like to read? Or if they send their kids to public school? Will it be alright if they devote their energy to aqcuiring mini-vans, boats and vacation homes? I hope I can accept those things.

But should I be accepting of my children no matter what they do? Do I accept my child for who he is if he is a drug addict? Or she a battered wife? What should a parent do when her child chooses to travel a dangerous path? What can a parent do?

Hope for the best, and be glad, for the moment, that they are little.

1 Comments:

Blogger geminig3 said...

Very nice..I think I will copy and quote that often.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home