Friday, June 16, 2006

Reading is Fun

The kids have signed up for the summer reading program at the library. They both have a 45-book goal, and if they reach it, they get a bag with some cheap toys and coupons for ice cream and whatnot.

Last year they also participated, but they weren't very aware that they were participating. I just jotted down the books we read and turned in our list at the end of the summer. I didn't make a big deal out of it because I didn't want to send the message that reading is something one must be bribed to do. That seems to put reading right up there with brussels sprouts and cleaning your room. Why were we in the program at all, you might ask? Because the librarians showed the prizes to the kids. I don't feel so strongly about this to be a killjoy!

But this year, not only did they remember the prizes they got last year, Katie was able to read all the signs in the library promoting the program. She spent a couple of weeks asking when (oh when!) would it start. Then we signed up and she was so excited! She was wanting to read, read, read. I actually experienced a great deal of disapproval because I didn't like seeing her reading just to log as many books as she can. I want her to read because she enjoys reading, not as a means to get toys and stickers. My sensible husband had to remind me that this is something fun that the kids are excited about. Perhaps it doesn't fit with the idyllic vision of learning for the sake of learning, but it is, after all, not so very important.

Now I have loosened up and am willing to be excited right along with Katie. Of course, now the novelty has worn off and she has moved on to a new obsession. Halloween. Reading about it, pretending it, planning for it. Well, maybe a Halloween party in July could be fun!

2 Comments:

Blogger geminig3 said...

My kids wanted to sign up for the program for the prizes, plain and simple ;-) Becca had a 10 book goal, and she's read, on her own, 56 books!! It's really helped her reading take off.
I think that's cool that Katie could read all the signs.

9:29 AM  
Blogger geminig3 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home