Sunday, June 11, 2006

Poor Tom

Lately I've been feeling bad for Tom. He is suffering from being the youngest. Being the youngest myself, I have much sympathy for his situation.

Katie gets to take a fun swim class. Tom could take the swim class, but I don't think he is ready. He needs to be able to pay attention to the teacher and do what she asks. He isn't very into paying attention and following instructions yet. He can do it, but not for long and only when the stars are properly aligned. More importantly, he has said he does not want to take the class if they want him to put his head under water, and they do.

Katie is starting to make friends that are not Tom. Usually Tom is Katie's best friend and playmate. Even when she has a friend come over, Tom is still included in the fun, but he is no longer essential. The fun can go on without him. He is no longer actively recruited into the games. And sometimes he is left at loose ends for what to do with himself. It's good for him, but not much fun.

Since Katie has just lost her first tooth, just moved into a "big kid carseat" (booster seat), and is starting to read, there has been a little extra excitement in her life that I think Tom is noticing and missing. Right now he is in a period where nothing much out of the ordinary is happening. The glory days of potty training are behind him, and there is nothing on the near horizon to take its place.

Now, while I am quite happy to make a big deal out of Tom's sad plight in my blog, I don't really think it is much more than a little bump in the road. It will not be long before he is basking in the spotlight, taking on new challenges, accomplishing grand feats of development. I can't wait to see what they will be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home